For both the ACT® and ACT Aspire® tests, the ELA and STEM score are introduced and the combination of ELA and STEM that we call additional composite score between 1to36.
ELA: ACT Organization now takes English, Reading, and Writing together to give you one ELA score. The ELA score measures overall performance in English, reading, and writing and is calculated as the average score across the three subjects.
- ELA Calculation: (English + Reading + Writing) / 3 = ELA
- Suppose we have (24 + 23 + Writing) / 3 = 24. The Writing score range is, therefore, 24–26.
- ELA Score range between 1to36.
- ELA scores are not typically used for college admission.
- If a student does not take the optional Writing Test, ACT will not provide an ELA score.
STEM: The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) score measures overall performance is calculated as the average score across the two subjects.
- STEM Calculation: (Math + Science) / 2 = STEM
- STEM Score range between 1to36.
- STEM scores are not typically used for college admission.
For better understanding, you can refer ACT Diagnostic Report to get insights beyond scores. Socrato’s Companion Series helps you get the most from your Official Study Guide.