The SAT Essay provides an opportunity to showcase analytical skills and writing ability. Success on the SAT Essay depends on preparation as well as execution. Consider the following when mapping out your test-taking strategies and tips:
1. Know the SAT Essay Scoring System
- This tests your ability to evaluate the author’s argument in terms of the author’s use of evidence, reasoning, and other rhetorical techniques.
- The SAT Essay is assigned three scores.
2. Study Sample Passages and SAT Essay Prompts
3. Read SAT Essay Passage Carefully
- Make sure you understand the author’s argument thoroughly before beginning.
- Give yourself enough time to write.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of reading carefully as well.
4. Stay Objective
- Be sure to maintain formal style and an objective tone. Tip: Avoid “I” and “you.
- Take a minute to compose your thoughts in a rough outline.
5. Start Strong, Shape Strong, Conclusion Strong
- Make sure you develop your SAT essay in a structured, connected way.
- Don’t worry about the exact terms for things.
- Use short, relevant quotes from the text to support your points.
6. Keep It Neat
- Handwriting is becoming a lost art.
- Do yourself a favor and write legibly.
7. Make Time for Review
- Aim to leave some time at the end for review.
- Consider every minute of time available as an opportunity.
To score high students can use Socrato to practice online and get insights beyond scores. Socrato’s Companion Series helps you get the most from your Official Study Guide.