The essays are vital in part because not only is the college essay a place to showcase writing skills, it’s one of the only parts of a college application where a student’s voice can shine through.
Getting Started on the College Essay
- According to professional, a good time for students to begin working on their essays is the summer before senior year.
- Starting early will also give students sufficiently of time to work through multiple drafts of an essay.
How to Pick a College Essay Topic
- The first, and sometimes most scary, step in the essay writing process is figuring out what to write about.
- Students should narrow their attention and write about a specific experience, hobby or quirk that reveals something personal, like how they think, what they value or what their strengths are.
- Students don’t have to discuss a major achievement in their essay – a common misconception.
- A college essay is thoughtful and tells a story that offers insight into who a student is as a person.
- No matter what topic students choose, they’ll ultimately be writing about themselves.
Writing the College Essay
- Outline their essay before jumping into the actual writing.
- Your writing process is your own.
- Don’t edit yourself, just lay it all out on the page.
- Aim to write as if you are writing to your favourite teacher.
- An essay’s opening sentence, or hook, should grab the reader’s attention.
Editing and Submitting the College Essay
- The best writing is rewriting.
- Admissions officers try to learn about students via the essay, so students want to make sure they submit top-notch work.
- The first stage focuses on content.
- The second proofing stage focuses on style, including grammar, punctuation and spelling.
To score high students can use Socrato to practice online and get insights beyond scores. Socrato’s Companion Series helps you get the most from your Official Study Guide.