The High School Placement Test (HSPT) is an admissions test taken by eighth graders seeking admission to Catholic high schools. High School Placement Tests (HSPT) is given to individuals entering grade 9. It has been used since 1955. Scholastic Testing Service, Inc. develops and administers exams used by schools to make admissions decisions, place applicants, and award scholarships. Each spring and fall, the test is given. It is a multiple-choice exam, and it lasts two and a half hours. There are almost 300 questions, covering Verbal Skills, Math, Quantitative Skills, Language, and Reading.
HSPT Exam Information:
The HSPT is also used to measure the math, reading, and writing skills of students entering high school. It is used in various private high schools across the country.
- Number of Questions: 298 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: approximately 2.5 hours
Furthermore, the exam tests include’ Math, Verbal, Reading, Language, and Quantitative Skills. Further, it was developed by Scholastic Testing Service to help private schools with admission decisions. Also, the HSPT lasts about three hours with scheduled breaks. Pencils and calculators are provided.
HSPT Exam Breakdown:
|HSPT Concept||# of Question||Time Limit||Content Area/ skill||Percentage of HSPT|
|Verbal Skill||60||16 Minutes||Verbal Analogies, Synonyms, Logic, Verbal Classifications, Antonyms.||20%|
|Quantitative Skills/ Reasoning||52||30 Minutes||Number Series, Geometric Comparison, Non-Geometric Comparison, Number manipulation.||17%|
|Reading||62||25 Minutes||Comprehension, Vocabulary.||20%|
|Mathematics||64||45 Minutes||Concepts, Problem-Solving.||21%|
|Language Skills||60||25 Minutes||Punctuation and Capitalization, Usage, Spelling, Composition.||20%|
- 1 point is also an award for each correct answer in all sections
- There are also no deductions for incorrect answers in all sections (answer all questions!)
- Further, the student is not allowed a calculator for the math sections.
- Also, students are not provided with scratch paper—all work is to be done on the test booklet.
- The student will take the HSPT at the Catholic high school they would most prefer to attend, though a student may list other Catholic high schools that sent the student’s HSPT scores.
- The HSPT features multiple scores:
- Raw score – Thus, the total number of correct answers in each section
- Scaled score – each raw score is converted into a scaled score of 200 to 800.
Here are some test-taking tips:
- So, pay attention to all the testing directions.
- Read the questions thoroughly, but do not spend too much time on one question.
- Moreover, select the best choice and try to answer as many questions as you can.
- Students’ scores are also calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly; there is no deduction for incorrect ones.
- Ensure once, that you are selecting the answer for the right test question on your answer sheet.
- Review your answers when you are finished with the test if time permits.
Smart Strategy for HSPT preparation downloads a detailed Socrato diagnostic report.