ACT Writing is optional, it will not effect your ACT composite score.
- Ideas and Analysis
- Your discussion of the perspectives on the essay topic.
- Development and Support
- How you develop your points with logical reasoning or,
- Specific examples.
- Domain relate to your essay’s organization;
- On both a macro (overall structure) and micro (within each paragraph) level.
- Language Use
- Domain depend on your command of standard written English;
- Standard written English including grammar and punctuation;
- Variety in sentence structure and vocabulary.
ACT Essay Scoring Policy
- Two different graders give score on a scale of 1-6 across above four different domains, for a total score out of 12 in each domain. These domain scores are then averaged into a total score out of 12.
- The domains themselves are graded holistically.
- ACT essay graders are not supposed to score essays based on whether or not the facts are accurate.
To score high students can use Socrato to practice online and get insights beyond scores. Socrato’s Companion Series helps you get the most from your Official Study Guide.